Saturday, September 20, 2008

Theme Week 4

My child thinks he is average and does not like the idea while I do not think he is average at all. He came in the other day to complain that he was "just average". I suspect that he heard from the doctor at his recent annual physical was how he was right in the middle of the range for weight and height. Then standardized test scores came home from school that set off this lamentation. I pointed out that he was right in the middle of scores in reading but was in the 80th percentile of math scores. He did not really comprehend what that meant and told me he was going out to ride his skateboard.

My child thinks he is average and does not like that idea while I see him as above the norm. He came in the other day to complain that he was "just average". He overheard the doctor tell me that he was in the average range for weight and height. I noticed at the time that the chart that only the doctor and I could see actually showed that his measures were within the norm but decidedly pushing the top of the envelope. When I told him about my observation he shrugged it off like it did not matter and went outside for some fresh air.

My child is a genius just like his dad. He knows it, I know and his doctor knows it. His doctor recently gave him an IQ test and when she sat us down in her office last week she was flabbergasted by just how high his scores were. My son overheard her gushings over his prowess and how her own child scored lower than mine several key tests. He asked "How did this happen?" Since both our children enjoy the same public school her only conclusion was that his great intelligence was inherited.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

"...where all the children are above average," as Garrison Keillor puts it.

Sure, this works on its own terms, but if one is licensed to go over the top and off the leash, in the last graf I'd have the Important Scientists and other VIPs tying up the phone lines to your house because of calls to Junior for consultations on global warming, financial meltdown, and pacification of the jihadists.