Monday, December 8, 2008

Theme Week 14 Part 2

these companies profit every time someone tosses an old bottle

The list of companies that have shed sales staff this year reads like a Who's Who of Pharma, including Novartis, Merck, Wyeth, GSK, Schering-Plough, and Boehringer Ingelheim.

The judge opened the hearing by quoting the highly respected American Law Institute’s statement that the fundamental purpose of a corporation is to maximize profits and return those profits to its shareholders.

It's October, so I'm reminded of what my pod mate said about our CEO: "For Halloween he should come dressed as a leader---that way nobody will recognize him."

finding that 90% of these medications were safe and effective far past their original expiration date.

Two reps at a POA where they speaker was talking about the new bonus plan.
Rep: They are just confusing me with these numbers. Just tell me how much fucking money I'm going to make.
I guess he wanted to see pictures of piles of money.

Providing gifts to physicians and financial support to hospitals for continuing medical education are an integral part of the drug industry’s strategy

I heard a rep talking to another about a counter part at a recent POA.
Rep: She doesn't like to bore the Drs with actual facts about the drug. She prefers to ask them how their weekend was then ask them if they could write some for her.

And yet, the AMA endorses these dates so what is a consumer to do?

Rep in front of me in line for "cattle call" at largest office in territory:Rep to doctor: "If you're not going to write my product don't use my samples.Doctor: "Next."

More than two-thirds of the clinical trials that are published in our most trusted medical journals are commercially sponsored.

In a psych office a patient who had been waiting a long time was talking with the receptionist.
Patient: Ask the Dr if I am going to have to kick the door in to get back there.
Receptionist: You may have to.
Patient: I'll do it. I'm a crazy fucker. I've done my time in the psych ward to prove it.

References:
http://www.cafepharma.com/overheard
http://bipolar.about.com/od/medications/a/expir_when.htm
http://www.overdosedamerica.com/2008/06/dose-of-bias-is-unhealthy.html

3 comments:

johngoldfine said...

This is one begging for a title, not something I often say. This is so sharp, pointed, incisive, edge, but we are not quite sure where it's pointed, what its edge is slicing. Just a hint would make a reader relax and be happy. It's a wonderful assemblage of stuff.

stevens said...

"Crazy for Profits"

johngoldfine said...

Works for me.