Friday, August 29, 2008

Journal Friday

I am happy that today is the last day of the work week, Labor Day weekend too. I just got done listening to the Red Sox win another late season game they needed to keep in the running for a playoff spot. I liked baseball alright as a kid, had no use for it for a long time and now my interest is renewed by sharing it with the boy. Our Dad took us to Fenway when we were in elementary school and I remember sitting in the grandstand. A boisterous older guy bought me and my brother popcorn in cardboard bullhorn. When we finished the popcorn we poked the disk out of the small end and put it to our mouths to cheer.

This summer I took the boy and his two grandfathers to a game and sat in the grandstand again. The park seemed much more spacious than I remembered it, maybe because when you are short you feel surrounded and closed in. I feared that worlds would collide but the Grandpas got along well. The boy got board around the seventh inning as it looked like Boston might be no-hitted. Luckily in the ninth Youk hit a two-run homer and broke the no-hitter. They still lost but we got to cheer. Now I am looking forward to camping for the weekend and listening to the games on the AM radio.

2 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Worlds colliding, eh? Battling grandpas? One a blazer-wearing, yacht club member from Falmouth Foreside, the other suspenders-and-flannel shirt retired-logger from Masardis?

stevens said...

Not exactly but maybe worse. One fled to Maine with three kids from Philadelphia in 1970 in a VW Microbus, lifelong liberal. My step-dad is conservative in most every way and resides but a few miles from his birthplace in central Massachusetts. My son and I just sat in between them and the boy and I switched seats during the game so he got time with both.