Friday, August 29, 2008

Journal Thursday

I awoke to the drone of the tanker jet practicing at 04:30 hours and couldn't go back to sleep even though I needed to. So I spent the morning dazed drinking coffee until reaching a semblance of coherence. Good thing since the day's plans called for team operation of heavy equipment in a high traffic area. We planned to bring the drilling machine out to an old gas station to take soil borings down ten feet or so looking for contaminated soil. The word of the day flashed up in an email "chthonic". What a perfect word for the day, Greek word meaning dwelling underground or of the underworld. After lunch I felt better, like I just woke up but skipping those couple of hours of sleep was like losing the whole morning.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

'Chthonic' is a word-and-a-half; certainly where I dwell until I get myself around at least two cups of coffee....