Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Journal Sunday

Opening the front door, hands full of backpacks and sleeping bags, I walk into the house for the first time in eight days. Following me with her overnight bag slung over shoulder is Jo-Jo as she's known to us so-named by our son, her grandson, several years ago. Jo-Jo will stay for a couple nights and watch grandson Ben while her daughter and I are away at work and before school starts later in the week. I hear some bad mother-in-law stories but Jo-Jo must be an exception.

After we are tucked in I scoot downstairs for a final drink of water and find Jo-Jo eating potato chips, reading the paper and sipping her one beer of the night. I say goodnight going up the stairs exhausted, thinking back many years when I had the energy and inclination to join her for a couple beers. Why is life so busy now?

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

My mother-in-law was great too! The problem around here was always my wife's mother-in-law, if you see what I mean....